So, today Naylor had a small button / watch battery (I have no idea where got it), but he brought it to me and I told him he couldn't have it and it may get on the floor and Whitley Ann would eat it and get bad boo-boos and I took it and put on the counter. Well, in a few minutes he told me the battery was in his mouth - looked around and couldn't find it, so started our adventure for the day...
Well, we ran on over to the WakeMed Pediatric ER and they were quite friendly. We were through triage and back in a room pretty quickly. Believe it or not, we were actually in the same room Robert Ashley was in almost 8 years ago when he broke his wrist while ice skating (incidentally Brian and I were engaged the next day; maybe I'll get another nice diamond after this ER adventure).
Had 3 x-rays done and the doctor confirmed that there was indeed a battery in Naylor's stomach. He said it was sitting pretty and if you were going to swallow a battery (which he advised not to be doing), it was as nicely placed as you could ask. Since it wasn't in his esophagus, we dodged a bullet there and were able to go home. Now, I get the fun, fun job of checking his business to see if/when it passes. So, now we're in a hurry up and wait situation. As long as he doesn't get any belly aches / vomit kind of stuff going on, we have the green light to just keep doing what we're doing (aside from eating batteries of course).
Oh, and here's a fun fact for the day... did you know there's a National Battery Ingestion Hotline?? Neither did I. But I do now and they'll be calling daily until the "foreign object" has been retrieved, cleaned and sent to them. That's right, sent to them. The battery companies are very interested in how their pieces react within the human body and study them when they are able to adjust their products accordingly. We are hoping this comes out within 4 days or we have to return for follow-up x-rays to see where it has moved... so here's to a poop party at our house!

Had 3 x-rays done and the doctor confirmed that there was indeed a battery in Naylor's stomach. He said it was sitting pretty and if you were going to swallow a battery (which he advised not to be doing), it was as nicely placed as you could ask. Since it wasn't in his esophagus, we dodged a bullet there and were able to go home. Now, I get the fun, fun job of checking his business to see if/when it passes. So, now we're in a hurry up and wait situation. As long as he doesn't get any belly aches / vomit kind of stuff going on, we have the green light to just keep doing what we're doing (aside from eating batteries of course).
Oh, and here's a fun fact for the day... did you know there's a National Battery Ingestion Hotline?? Neither did I. But I do now and they'll be calling daily until the "foreign object" has been retrieved, cleaned and sent to them. That's right, sent to them. The battery companies are very interested in how their pieces react within the human body and study them when they are able to adjust their products accordingly. We are hoping this comes out within 4 days or we have to return for follow-up x-rays to see where it has moved... so here's to a poop party at our house!

Waiting for his x-rays
We went and picked the girls up from the drop off place and grabbed some McDonald's and everyone is happily eating now. I just got a giant Diet Coke because I had some leftover pizza here. Thinking about topping that soda off with a splash of Crown Royal...
Back home, happy as can be.
Now that I'm home, kids are in bed and I'm reflecting, I'm SO GLAD we went to the pediatric ER... it was nothing but a thing today, just like a dr's office visit and Naylor was totally fine. Maybe a little too fine that it didn't scare him enough not to do it again. Anyhow... in hindsight, I guess I'm just grateful we weren't in a regular old ER with folks that have cut their finger off or been shot or something else gruesome that would scar him for life or scare him unnecessarily from going to the doctor's office.
So grateful it wasn't any more than it was - lots of "what if's" and "could have's", but I'm just going to say a grateful prayer for what we're dealing with and move on.
Oh no....poor Naylor and Mommy:) Glad he's ok and smiling!! Definitely one of those Mom moments that you'll laugh at later in life.
ReplyDelete