Thursday, May 31, 2012

This post is dedicated to Dimitris

I know I've been on extended hiatus... we've been busy having FUN!  I'll try to back-log and catch you up on things, along with pictures as I do.  I thought it fitting to resume blogging with the latest project under our belts thanks to Brian and our dear friend Dimitris.

D was up two weekends ago and I had shared with him and Brian a picture of some shelving / cubby things I wanted to build for the garage.  After some scheming, sketching, planning and two trips to Home Depot the project was under way.  They guys did an AWESOME job!!  I can't express enough just how happy I am with how it turned out.  They went above and beyond my dreams - really, I was just hoping for some plywood slapped together and they have gone all out and it looks like something straight from Pottery Barn.  I'm impressed and happy to be (momentarily) the garage envy of the street.  (I fully recognize this is fleeting as it will take us about 20 seconds to fill them with junk!)

After the guys were done I primed and painted it and then painted it again.  I picked up some hooks and Brian put those in last night.  This morning, Whitley Ann and I headed out on a mission to find baskets to fill these cubby holes to help keep some unity to the clutter (or at least help camouflage it!).  While at the store with my measuring tape, I began to think it would have been better to find some baskets first and then build around them... I'm not sure we have standard measurements, but I did find some things I hope will work.  I had wanted some baskets a little simpler, but this is what I could find that would work.  I'm hoping maybe the bright colors will help encourage the kids that cleaning up is fun!  

THANK YOU BRIAN AND DIMITRIS!!!   I **LOVE** my new shelves!!!  Now, to get them loaded up, so I can move the other stuff around and get my car back in the garage since it's starting to push 90* outside this week.

This is the photo of inspiration from a favorite blogger of mine: Memories on Clover Lane 
She also has a recipe blog: Cooking on Clover Lane that has lots of great hits!

 Higgins' new shelving unit completed and primed.

 Painted, hooks up, baskets in place!  

I'm actually testing out how I like the look before I load the baskets down and am unable to return them... although really cute, I'm leaning towards returning the far left column of baskets since they aren't quite practical for the space.  I'm going to feel it out today, but I see a return in my future!

2 comments:

  1. oooh, i love this! i'm going to show this to my husband tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your new posts!!! Those shelves are amazing and Brian and Dimitris did an awesome job! So professional looking and beautiful. What a great friend. :)

    ReplyDelete