serves 6-8
- (1) 2 1/2 lb fryer
- (1) 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, sweetened with 1/3 cup sugar
- (1) 16 oz can creamed corn
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 T liquid smoke (found in grocery store)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 T vinegar (I used white)
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- celery salt to taste
In a large pot, boil chicken until meat falls off bone, approx 45 minutes; drain (reserve 1 - 2 cups of stock). Remove skin and bones; chop meat. In a separate pot, mix chicken and remaining ingredients. Simmer slowly for about 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. (Add a little bit of stock if stew gets too think.) Serve over steamed rice.
**Robin's edits / notes**
- This was a new recipe for me, so I followed it exactly (aside from adding the lima beans) and thought it was good, but a bit sweet for my personal taste. Next time, I will not add the 1/3 cup of sugar - I think between the ketchup and bbq sauce, it will be sweet enough for me. I'll most likely also add just a dash or two of a hot sauce next time too or maybe just do that on my own bowl - either Tabasco or Texas Pete would be good I think.
- Also, I have always eaten it like we did last night, more as a soup if you will, so I didn't do the rice, but I think that could be good / hearty as a meal in itself.
- The chicken I cooked was closer to 5 lbs as I was debating which recipe to use... so I had double the chicken the recipe called for.
- I had on hand a few pieces, probably about 1 lb of beef briskett - I tossed it in since I had it on hand (it had been smoked).
- It says to use another pot; I don't like washing dishes that much! I reserved 2 cups of stock and did end up using about 1 1/2 after it had cooked a bit. The remainder of the stock I put in ziplock bags in 1/2 cup and 2 cup portions that I lay flat and freeze. Next time I need stock in a recipe - voila! Once I had bagged up the stock, I poured all the ingredients back in to that pot and started simmering.
- I added a small bag (10-12 oz +/-) frozen lima beans - I've always had lima beans in the Brunswick stew I've eaten, so I tossed them in with the rest.
- Liquid smoke; I found it by the BBQ sauce section, small 5 oz bottle at Harris Teeter
- Just for your purposes, I used Kraft Honey Hickory Smoke BBQ sauce - it's what I had on hand. Again, I think this sauce is sweet enough in itself, that I won't add the sugar next time.
- I didn't have crushed tomatoes, so I used petite diced - once it's cooked down a bit, it's kind of all the same for this particular dish at least!

No comments:
Post a Comment