Saturday, March 3, 2012

My new favorite: Jacques Pépin






 Our good friend JP killed a couple of deer around Thanksgiving up in West Virginia while visiting his family and had both dressed.  Brian and I hit the jackpot as he was so very gracious to share some of that wonderful meat with us.  While I've had venison before, I've never prepared any that wasn't ground so I'm treading into new territory.  A few weeks back, I made a venison stroganoff = WOW!  Amazing, simply amazing.  And tonight after the kids were in bed, I finish off this meal of venison steaks with asparagus and gratin dauphinoise (potatoes).  It was all simply amazing.  After searing the steaks, I deglazed the pan, sauteeing some shallots in red wine vinegar and red wine then mixed in a few other ingredients to top the steaks.

I can not say enough good things about this meal!!  Brian literally wanted to just spoon the sauce into his mouth, but I did make him at least get a piece of bread... HA!  The venison and potatoes were both recipes from my new favorite, Jacques Pépin - I've been watching his show since I saw a link on a friend's Facebook - LOVE IT!  Links to the recipes are just below - take the time - it's worth it all!

Venison Steaks

Gratin Potatoes

1 comment:

  1. yum! thinking of preparing these potatoes for card club...but was thinking it had Gruyere (sp?!) cheese. Looks like this version allows two servings in regards to calorie count!

    ReplyDelete