I guess it being the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of September 11th have been causing me to reflect a little more on my life, my blessings and my priorities. I've been getting back into reading for fun over the past year and recently have read two books that are along the spiritual lines, one being The Shack by William P. Young and the other Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo; completely different stories, but they do raise the awareness of faith. I highly suggest Heaven is For Real to any and everyone and The Shack I'm still reflecting on - I'm still not sure how I feel about this book, but it certainly has me thinking!
I was reading a blog yesterday and one of the bloggers was remembering those lost in 9/11 (she actually lived in NYC at the time so knew of folks impacted by this), but was also remembering others that have dealt with great loss and I thought it was well put that while the events of 9/11 were absolutely horrific and tragic, no doubt, no denying that; it has changed our world forever, loss is loss and the important thing is to remember those that are no longer with us regardless of what day they may have been taken from this world. What I think may be even more important is to let those that are still here know that they are important and loved. Here's a link to this particular post - I'm not sure how I even ran across this blog originally, but she's funny and it's nice to read someone else's shenanigans that are simple tasks that can turn in to adventures with little ones along for the ride. http://www.mamabirddiaries.com/the-mamabird-diaries/and-on-this-day-we-remember/
Anyway, in reading of these people that have lost children and loved ones and watching news coverage of the attacks that September day 10 years ago, it has just shaken me a tiny bit to remember that it's a blessing to be here every day. It's a blessing to have these 3 most perfect little gifts in my life and it's a blessing to have a partner to join me on this adventure we are experiencing. It's so easy to get caught up in the every day minutia of busy-ness... of nothing really... what is so important that we're rushing around for? To get to the store? To eat exactly at 6 every night? To have the nicest things that are simply that, things? To have the cleanest house? Nah, it's about living and being and relationships and I'm going to make a better effort to make those things the priority of my life and let go of the little things that are truly that, just little things. It's time to refocus on the big picture - details are nice indeed - but it's the big picture that needs to be brought back into the focus of my life at this time.
I certainly spent time yesterday remembering that day 10 years earlier and all the emotions it brought with it then and even still now. It makes me sad to think that this can be a scary world we live in, but also makes me want to be a better person and to raise my children in house full of love and absent of prejudices. After all that reading last night my mind was racing and I spent a little longer checking on each of the children before going to bed... gave a few extra kisses and said a few extra prayers.
My aunt shared this Bible verse yesterday and thought it appropriate for the day:
PSALM 46 GOD is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear....
No comments:
Post a Comment