As you all know, just after Christmas I was feeling funny, went to the dr and they ended up giving the shots to help baby's lungs develop just in case of delivery prior to 32 weeks. Dr told me to take it easy and not pick the kids up any more than I needed to, preferably not at all. Since offices were still closed, Naylor and Lalon stayed in Clinton with Annie, Pa and the Hargroves to play and so I could rest and let # 3 calm down a bit... Brian and I then went down on New Year's day for our traditional good luck food and to get the kids and Annie and Christie had decided it would be best for the kids to start staying there Sun - Wed until the baby arrived, returning to Apex on Wed and then Brian working from home Thurs and Fri to help with Lalon while Naylor was at his new school. So last week, that's what we did and all went pretty well... Naylor's first day of school went great, Brian was helpful here, and I don't think we disturbed him too terribly much from work. All was going great until about 6.30 Thurs night...
Lalon suddenly got sick and was vomiting - she was pitiful, but got cleaned up and went to bed. Naylor was fine... then sometime between 9 - 10, Naylor got sick and was vomiting and that was pitiful too. So Brian and I got him all cleaned up and settled back down and then everyone went to bed. The next day everyone seemed fine, but Naylor had some terrible diarrhea so he didn't make it to school that day - Brian stayed home again to help out. Saturday night it was mine and Brian's turn to be sick - it's a short lived virus, but has a heck of a punch and knocked us both out... thankfully, it didn't fully hit either of us until the kids were in bed.
Sunday was a very lazy, recuperating kind of day and late in the afternoon I loaded the kids up and headed to Clinton. Thankfully, Ms Virginia that keeps Ava James during the day, had agreed to keep Naylor and Lalon Monday - Friday on a temporary basis. This was good news for me, or at least made me feel better about the situation, because it's much less disruptive of Mama and Christie's days since they both have full time jobs and helps that Brian is able to work at his office too... So, while none of this is super ideal, this is the best case scenario for right now and we'll continue with this plan until baby arrives - I'm aiming for Valentine's Day.
While I was at Annie & Pa's, the snow came, so the kids first few days of school were cancelled due to snow / ice. I had planned to come home either Tues night or Wed morning - wanted to get the kids settled at school, make sure everyone was okay and then head back here. Well, I was snowed / iced in down there too, so we were all just hanging out. That was all fine, but on Tuesday I was feeling funny again - baby was moving / turning and getting very low and I was having dull back pain all day. So while I wasn't feeling like I was in full on labor, I was very nervous the baby was coming... Annie & I were as prepared as we could be if we needed to make a dash to the local hospital in the middle of the night - with my track record, we knew we'd never make it to Rex in Raleigh, so were headed to Dunn if need be. Woke up Wed, no baby and was feeling better, but could tell baby was still low. So, yesterday afternoon I headed back and rested up.
This morning I had my regularly scheduled dr's appt and asked that she check everything out... (on Dec 27th I was about 1cm dilated). Today, Dr. Carter said I was about 1.5 - 2 cm dilated and that yes, the baby is super low. She mentioned that by my history and where the baby is positioned, at the first sign of labor, I need to get in the car and get to the hospital and not be worried about my hair or shaving my legs... says that the baby is already in position and now only has to come out. She was grateful for "Dr. Mom's" orders of taking the kids and me staying in bed... told me not to be cleaning the house or doing dishes and to stay horizontal (I'm going to see if I can get that "don't clean the house" part in writing for after the baby is born - ha!). I'm 33 weeks along today and she said if we could get at least 1 more week behind us, we'd be hitting a major developmental milestone for baby and it would be much, much safer - of course anything past 34 weeks would be even better.
I feel good, but can definitely tell that the baby is low, other than that, all is well. The kids went to school today for the first time and Christie reported that they did great and Ms Virginia thinks Lalon is beautiful (I agree!). I just hope Naylor (who is the oldest), doesn't beat all the other kids up and get kicked out! :-)
So that's what's going on... exciting times around here in the craziest of ways, but everyone is healthy and safe so we're making the best of what we have. Brian and I are VERY grateful to have such awesome helpers during this time... as Mama said, it's easier for them to keep the kids now and # 3 get bigger / stronger / come later, than us to be juggling 2 toddlers and an infant in the hospital from coming too early. We're gonna owe Annie, Pa, Christie and Jamie a whole lot of wine or something by the time this is over!
I go back to the dr next Thursday afternoon, but at this point we're just checking to make sure everything is still okay... had not gained any weight at today's appointment, but they didn't seem concerned about that, so I think I'm still at 5lbs total gained.
Keep you posted if anything happens, but hopefully I won't have anything to report for at least another 2 weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment