Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Love your children - they're a special gift.
I saw this on a friend's Facebook page (I sometimes wonder by the time my kids are old enough to read this and appreciate it, will Facebook be completely irrelevant like 8 tracks, cassette tapes, rotary phones or VHS?) - sorry, I got distracted.... Anyway, this was spot on and I felt like I needed to share it.
I was captivated by two different blogs last night about women that I don't even know, but their stories are heartbreaking and the strength they have found through their faith is moving to me. So, I saw this picture, then stumbled upon their blogs and basically spent the entire night reading these and taking breaks to scoot upstairs to check on the kids and give an extra kiss.
Some days being a stay at home mom is the toughest, most trying, most frustrating thing I have ever known, but in a split second one of those sweet little people will look up and give the most heartwarming smile or toddle over to me and give a hug for no reason and everything else just melts away. We have fun being home together, we make lots (and I mean lots) of messes and each day I see another would-have-been rule flying out the door and that's okay. I sometimes have to remind myself that kids can have bad days too; no reason they can't just be grumpy some days and on those I try to power through with as much patience as I can muster up.
Seeing this picture was a good reminder of what's really important and why Brian and I made the choice for me to be home the first few years. It was a good reminder of reading those blogs last night to cherish each and every day I have with my sweet babies. As many diapers as I may have to change in a day, or hands and faces I have to wipe down or the messes I clean up are an absolute blessing and I am very aware and grateful for every singe bit of it all. I know there are folks out there that would give anything to change just one more diaper or wipe up one more cup of spilled milk or dunk a spaghetti covered kid right in the tub because you just can't wipe it all off just one more time. I know there are folks that would do anything to be able to have their own kid to get into a big mess with or get frustrated with because he's learning his independence and perhaps beginning to resist a nap.
It is not lost on me just how blessed I am and how fortunate we are to not just have these perfect little people in our lives, but to also have food to eat and a nice house to live in, in a very nice, friendly, safe neighborhood and I am very grateful. I hope this entry reminds you to take a look at your surroundings and say a quick prayer of thanks. I know there were days (pre-kids) that I couldn't appreciate all the blessings around me because I was too preoccupied with the one thing that I didn't have... if nothing else, my children have certainly taught me to enjoy the present moment and have definitely shown me that each day is a blessing and a gift. I'm going to do my best to treat each day as such.
Here are links to the blogs if you'd like to read them. The first one I had stumbled upon a few months ago from another blog I read regularly - all it said / inferred was that she lost her 12 year old son in the floods from Hurricane Irene. After seeing another blog about a sweet, young girl, aged 7 losing a battle with brain tumors, it made me curious about the flood blogger, so I looked her back up... I am amazed by both of these women's strength and faith.
An Inch of Gray
Byrd House - Byrds Nest
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment