Monday, February 22, 2010

Green Enchiladas


I feel like I've been making the same 10 meals over and over... so over the next couple of weeks we're trying lots of new recipes and I'll be sharing the good ones! This one was a hit (and my new definition of hit is that it includes a meat, a veggie and that Naylor eats it)!

Green Enchiladas

4 c water
2 lbs skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 c butter or margarine
1 (10oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
24 oz container sour cream
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
3/4 c milk
1 t ground cumin
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
1 (16 oz) pkg Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (I only had the Mexican kind and it was tasty - I think just shred cheese will work)

Bring water to a boil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken and shred; set aside.
Saute onion in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender. Remove from heat; add spinach and next 7 ingredients, stirring well.
Combine half of spinach mixture with chicken; stir well. Spoon 1/3 c chicken mixture evenly down center of each tortilla; roll up tortillas, jellyroll fashion. Place tortillas, seam side down, in 2 lightly greased 11x7 inch baking dishes (I used 9 x 13). Sprinkle 1/4 of cheese evenly over each casserole. Spoon remaining spinach mixture over cheese; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment